Juneteenth is a day of freedom and celebration, commemorating the end of slavery in America. It’s a day to reflect on the history of slavery, celebrate the progress that’s been made, and recommit to the fight for racial justice. Here are some ways that we can acknowledge and get involved with Juneteenth:
- Talk to your friends and family about Juneteenth. Encourage them to learn more about this important holiday and the Black experience in America.
- Learn about the history of Juneteenth. There are many resources available online and in libraries that can help you learn about the history of Juneteenth.
- Shop Black-owned businesses on Juneteenth and throughout the year. This is a great way to show your support for the Black community.
- Volunteer your time to a Black-led organization working to make a difference in the community. Volunteer your time to help these organizations achieve their goals.
- Attend one of the Juneteenth celebrations held throughout the country. These celebrations are a great way to learn more about the holiday, and to celebrate freedom and equality.
- Get involved in the fight for racial justice. Juneteenth is a reminder that the fight for racial justice is not over. Get involved by contacting your elected officials, attending protests, and donating to organizations that are working to create a more just and equitable society.